Cleft Lip in Karachi Pakistan | Best Cleft lip & Palate Surgeon
The cleft palate and lip both are the facial and oral deformities. Cleft lip is a physical separation of two sides of the upper lips. The extension of this separation may affect nose and bones of upper jaw. Cleft lip and cleft palate are the most common birth defects. They most commonly occur as a result of any congenital defect. It is also associated with many inherited genetic conditions. Cleft lip and cleft palate can be corrected and treated
A cleft lip or hare lips is an opening in the upper lip. The gap can be tiny or long enough to go through the lip into the nose. This happens if the joining of the tissues that make up the lip in pregnancy isn’t completed before the birth.
The cleft palate is an opening in the roof of the mouth. Most of the babies who have a cleft lip also have a cleft palate.
The possible treatment is as follows;
- Surgery, an operation is done to correct a cleft lip. This operation for cleft lip is done when the baby is 3 to 6 months. And the operation for a cleft palate is done when the child is 6 to 12 months.
- Feeding is done my special kind of bottle specially made to feed these kinds of children.
- Hearing aid is used to correct hearing issues.
- To improve their speech, different speech therapies are done.
Cleft lip and cleft palate treatment are recommended in the early stages of a baby’s life. Doctors recommend cleft palate treatment within the first 18 months of the baby’s life. However, cleft lip or hare lips surgery must be done within the first year of the baby’s’ life.
Children with cleft have to face many complications like;
- They may face difficulty in feeding, children with cleft lip can breast-feed, but a child with cleft palate may face sucking difficult.
- Babies with cleft palate are at risk of developing middle ear fluid which if not treated may cause hear loss.
- Extension of cleft through the gums and tooth develops dental problems.
- Speech of a child with cleft palate is unclear and sound too nasal.
Children with cleft lip and palate have problems with speaking, feeding, and can have an ear infection. Moreover, they can have listening problems and casualties with their teeth.
The causes of cleft palate and lip in unknown. But it may due to some genetic deformities and due to some environmental factors.
If mother takes any anticancer, anti-seizure or anticonvulsant drug during her pregnancy, then there is a higher chance of having a baby with a cleft lip of =r a cleft palate.
Certain viruses also thought to be involved in causing cleft palate or a cleft lip. It can also occur by the exposure of certain chemicals e.g. the x ray of pelvis during the initial month might be the cause of cleft lip or palate.
The cleft lip and palate should appears to be symmetrical, looks naturally perfect with a functional muscle. But this affect depend upon many factors like the skill of surgeon, pre surgery markings, etc.