Breast Reconstruction in Karachi Pakistan
A number of patients diagnosed with breast cancer go through a breast removal surgery called mastectomy. Breast reconstruction is a surgery, or surgeries, performed after a mastectomy to rebuild and restore the appearance of the missing breast or breasts. The goal of breast reconstruction is to restore a women’s sense of self femininity and beauty by recreating both the size and shape of the natural breast after a breast removal surgery called mastectomy or partial mastectomy; a surgery in which unlike mastectomy only a part of breast is removed called lumpectomy.
Breast reconstruction is performed at the time of mastectomy known as immediate reconstruction or months to years later referred to as delayed reconstruction. Factors that will affect the timing of your reconstruction include:
There are three ways to reconstruct a breast:
- Implant Based Reconstruction – Using breast implants
- Autologous Reconstruction – Using your own tissues.
- Hybrid Breast Reconstruction – Using a combination of your own tissues from different parts of body and a small breast implant
The decision to have breast reconstruction is a very personal choice, and there are particular reasons as to why someone does or does not choose this option. The decision to go through the breast reconstruction surgery should be made after thorough consideration and discussion with Dr Tahir Shafi as he will guide you regarding the options you have and the eligibility for the surgery. It should be for oneself and not to fulfill someone else’s desires. It is extremely significant for potential candidates to comprehensively explore whether the procedure is right for them.
An ideal candidate for breast reconstruction is someone who:
- were able to cope well with the diagnosis and treatment
- Is a non-smoker
- Is cancer-free
- Do not have additional medical conditions that may decline healing
- Is not a diabetes or high blood pressure patient
- Is able to make the time commitment for several surgeries
- possess positive outlook and realistic goals for restoring their body image
Due to its emotional and psychological value most of the women are extremely satisfied with the procedure as for many women their femininity and sexuality are closely associated with their breasts. Having a breast reconstruction after mastectomy can therefore greatly impact a woman’s emotional and physical well-being:
- Provides a sense of closure to the difficult experience of being diagnosed with cancer.
- Allow women to wear different styles of clothes
- Restores self confidence and well being
- Give women natural, beautiful curves
- Restores a female body contour
- Elimination of anxiety, fear, and low self-esteem
While breast reconstruction surgery has many beneficial aspects at the same time, like any other surgery, there are some risks and complications attached with it and therefore it is extremely important for the candidate to understand that it is a complex surgery and they should fully explore its temporary as well as permanent effects along with potential complications before proceeding for the surgery. The risks may include:
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Blood clots
- Fluid buildup in the breast or donor sites
- Impaired healing
- Rupture or deflation of implant
- Tissue death
- Uneven breast
Dr Tahir Shafi has advanced training and a stellar reputation as plastic surgeon with over 25 years of experience. The best thing patients can do to minimize the likelihood of complications and to get their desired result is to select an expert and trusted surgeon like Dr Tahir Shafi as he has years of experience performing this procedure. On the other hand, being a woman it is very important for a patient to be comfortable with the surgeon so that she can discuss openly with the surgeon. Dr Tahir Shafi respects his patients and makes them feel at ease, truly listens to their needs, and customizes their treatment according to their goals to get the best of results.